Tuesday, July 13, 2021
Camp Galileo - We Loved It! Autism Mom Tips Plus Our Reasons Why We Love #campgalileo
Camp Galileo - Summer Camp Where Autism failed & My Son Succeeded
Thank you to Camp Galileo for inviting us to try a session of summer camp in Orange County. All opinions are my own.
We loved it so much & Mikey had such a successful time he asked to return, so we did, and week two was just as fun and amazing for him.
From creating something imagination and STEAM inspired to outdoor play, Camp Galileo was perfect for us.
It is not often, in fact this is this first time, where I can leave Mikey on his own at an all day camp of any sorts and feel confident he is safe and having a great time.
He has worked so much on his social skills, patience, understanding of others cues, communication and everything else this past year and has thrived at school. I figured I would trust Galileo Camps to make this summer our first of many to kick autism in the face with summer camp success.
Tips for a rocking camp...
* communication... let the on-site team and camp manager know any concerns at all and they are super attentive.
* prep your camper. Show them a video, talk about what will go on at camp and even let them know what they may do as their theme so that your camper is prepped for the week.
* send some favorites... it may be a note on the snacks in their lunch or a special pin they can wear on their daily name tag lanyard but something to remind them you are there and they can do it.
* review your emails and camp tips that come from your location. They do a great job on all of this to prep and to recap.
Here are my favorite take aways from Camp Galileo this summer...
* Great program structure and mix of edufun with indoor and outdoor activities . Perfect mix of exciting diy projects based around a specific theme with the right amount of calming outdoor play
* Friendly attentive staff that makes each camper feel special and significant to the amazing day at camp. Always smiling & ready to make the kids day great. Oh and they reapplied sunscreen all day long thank you team Camp Galileo!
* Autism friendly. Each child is different and each kiddo is on the spectrum in a different place. What I thought was great at Camp Galileo... they recognized, reviewed and attended to my personal comments about my kiddo, they were attentive and on top of it all and knew they could call me for anything but never needed to. I felt like my son is safe, not being bullied and is having some social skills strengthened while he makes new friends.
My son said "we're all friends and play together... no one is left out and everyone is included"
We can not wait to return next summer!
You can get all the details here on locations and registration.